Phil in Thailand 2006

Sunday, October 22, 2006

What I Believe

I think it is important what people believe, especially if we are going to support them in 'ministry.' So, a little bit, here is what i believe. Mostly it is just the TSCF doctrinal statement. I'm really hoping that during this mission trip I will be able to develop more of a statement of belief for 'global mission,' so pray that God makes his word clear to me. Thanks.

# There is one God, who is three persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. God is the Creator and Sustainer of all things.
# God in revealing himself inspired the Holy Scriptures so that they are entirely trustworthy and have supreme authority in matters of doctrine, faith and conduct.
# We all were made for fellowship with God, but disobeyed him. So we all have become sinners, guilty in God's sight, under his wrath, and alienated from him.
# Jesus Christ, God's own son, became truly human. He was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary.
# Jesus Christ took on himself the sin of the world when he died on the cross as our representative and substitute. God thereby showed his love for us and provided the only way for us to be forgiven and reconciled to Him.
# Jesus of Nazareth was raised by God from the dead.
# The Holy Spirit brings us to trust Christ and repent of our sins, lives in us, and develops our new life in Christ in the fellowship of the Church.
# Jesus Christ, the living Lord, will return in person as Judge and King.


This is pretty dry stuff, but I'm not really enthusiastic enough to make it more personal just yet. I guess it comes from the underlying assumption that the Bible is the inerrant word of God, and that it offers us a source of absolute truth.

I was at a mini missions conference last week and it really boiled my blood when one of the missionaries up front quoted "preach Christ at all times, and if necessary, use words." Hopefully i'll come up with an intelligent response to that soon. I'm really keen to get my mits on John Piper's "Let the Nations be Glad." To have read that is one of my goals on this mission trip. Anyway, i'm really selling myself short by kicking this blog off with such a long, boring, unthought out post but oh well. that's the beauty of blogs. noone reads them.

2 Comments:

  • "Noone reads them"

    I do!

    But then again, I'm not normal.

    Good on you for caring about doctrine. Pipers book on missions is highly recommended, it was the first book by him I read.

    I'm not sure I agree that the TSCF DB, being a summary of evangelical faith, is dry though!

    By Blogger Scott Mackay, at 4:43 PM  

  • Hi there Philip,

    I'm reading too... I look forward to your Thailand updates!

    Mark.

    By Blogger Mark, at 9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home