Phil in Thailand 2006

Friday, December 08, 2006

Thailand 1

Hello Everyone,

Well, I have been in Thailand 5 days now, and it has been pretty full on. Had a good break in Australia first. Bit dramatic, but a really good rest with my family.

We arrived on Monday at 4am, waited till 5 for rooms to be sorted out, and started the day at about 10. We are working with Jonny and Anne McClean, who are working with students here in Nakhon Sawan, Thailand. They have had over 15 teams out before so it is great to be working with people who know exactly how to use us! So far we have been involved in handing out information fliers and tracts on campus, helping out with English and Bible lessons. We have met quite a few Chinese students so far, so on Wednesday night, we had a trilingual Bible study, in Thai, English and Chinese! But amazing to see several students who have never even seen a Bible before, start to learn who Jesus is!

A highlight has been meeting three chinese guys called Hank, WinDee, and Yuan, who have been really friendly, and came to the Bible study and have said they will come to the Christmas camp we are running this weekend. I am hopefully playing basketball with some of them in 45 minutes, and pray that I will be able to meet some of their friends and invite them to the camp as well.

Johnny and Anne are expecting about 75 Thai students at the Christmas camp this weekend. It is really inspiring, in a country where Thai Christians can be persecuted for not being Buddhist, Christian students are only allowed to come along to the camp if they bring a non-Christian along with them! Pray for this camp, which runs from Friday to Monday.

I am still getting used to the heat (much hotter than I remember!), and the dress requirements of an English teacher. On our second day here, we were dragged along to buy a proper pair of dress shoes, dress pants, and a haircut!! It's the first time I've paid for a hair cut in over 7 years!

I am definitely enjoying my time here. I didn't expect it to be this busy. But time is short and as we have been reminded, we are definitely not here to be tourists! It is a really great window into what student ministry looks like in Thailand. A lot more work than I imagined, but inspiring to.

In our team times, we have also been going through the book of Philippians which is incredible. It is great to see Pauls heart for the gospel, and it is a constant reminder to me that my joy should be in what Christ has done on the cross, and my goal should be to preach that good news as much as possible!
_____________________________
I would really appreciate your prayers for:

1. That we would be able to have meaningful conversations with students despite language barriers.

2. That my relationship with Hank, WinDee and Yuan, would enable them to hear and be challenged by the gospel.

3. That our team would remain focused, despite busyness, on God's love for the Thai people, and on His glory.

4. That I would see if I have unique skills for the Thai mission field.
_____________________________

Thanks so much for all your prayers and support.

Love Phil

ps. to get a more comprehensive overview of what we are doing each day, visit our team sight at www.GoCU06.blogspot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home